Dynamic Color and Powerful Design
Oil/Wax Workshop with Pamela Caughey
April 10-14, 2018
Medium: Oil & Cold Wax
Tuition: $850 | Lab Fee: $45
This class is now wait-listed.
This workshop is for artists working with cold wax medium and oils who have a basic understanding of how to create texture and layers in this medium, but want to explore the next step - how to create a powerful composition using dynamic color and powerful design. Each student will be encouraged to express their personal voice through a better understanding of what they love most in their art. You will learn how to mix and apply a wide range of color, grays, and glazes differing in value, temperature and saturation through fun and explorative exercises. Through demonstrations, presentations, and working one on one, each student will learn how to strengthen their compositions by understanding what makes strong design, with a focus on value and shape. Students will create both small studies and larger works to explore key concepts. With this information, each student will be able to approach a painting at any stage of development and understand the “when” and “how” to pull their paintings together to a satisfying conclusion. We will also discuss the importance of an experimental approach and risk taking during the creative process. The majority of workshop time will be devoted to painting, with helpful demos and presentations to better understand key concepts presented. There will also be time for individual critique and discussion of each student’s personal artistic goals and progress. This class is highly recommended before taking the MASTER class in oil/cold wax.
has been a professional artist for over 30 years, and has been teaching both at the University level and more recently, workshops here and abroad since receiving her MFA in 2010. Her contemporary abstract
work is exhibited widely and is in the permanent collections of several museums and corporations here and abroad. She specializes in four mediums: cold wax/oil, encaustic, encaustic monotype and mixed media. Two of her cold wax paintings are included in the newly published book by Rebecca Crowell and Jerry McLaughlin, “Cold Wax Medium: Techniques, Concepts, Conversations." She specializes in helping artists find their unique, creative voice by condensing into a 4 or 5 days workshop, what she taught during a 13 week university level course in the fundamentals of 2D design and color. This workshop is for ANY artist who asks, "what's next?", "now what?", and "is it finished?"
Directions to the Clancy Building - GPS address:
213 North Washington Street, Snow Hill, Maryland 21863
Travel to Snow Hill
5:00 pm - Opening Wine Reception; Clancy Building Studio.
April 11 -
Friday, April 13
9:00 am - 4:30 pm - Workshop in Clancy Building Studio.
Saturday, April 14
9:00 am - 3:30 pm - Workshop,
lunch, wrap up session
3:30 pm - clean up, pack up, depart
Registration and Payments:
- Registration is made by making a 50% deposit through our on-line secure payment system. You may use any major credit card when checking out.
- The balance is due by 6 weeks out from the workshop start date.
- Registration is open until the workshop is filled, at which point we open a waitlist. Often students on the wait list are able to take the workshop due to unanticipated circumstances of another enrollee.
- All workshops have caps for attendants. In order to reserve your spot, it is advisable to enroll as soon as possible.
- We cannot run under-enrolled workshops. Therefore, if you are planning to book a flight, we recommend waiting until we make the final call on a workshop at 6 weeks out from the travel in date. However, as soon as the workshop meets minimum we will inform all participants.
- A full refund is made when a workshop that is canceled or already full at the time of registration.
- An email or letter cancellation is required for withdrawals. Students who withdraw 6 weeks prior to the workshop start date receive a refund of the workshop deposit less a 25% cancellation & processing fee.
- If a cancellation is made later than 6 weeks prior to the workshop, the deposit is forfeited, but a credit for the amount may be applied to another workshop that same calendar year. You may also transfer your deposit to a friend or family member for that same calendar year or make a tax-deductible donation to Cullowhee Mountain ARTS.
- Students who withdraw within 4 weeks of the workshops will forfeit their payments, even if workshop was paid in full, but can transfer the payments made to another workshop during the calendar year, or transfer their deposit to a friend or family member for that same calendar year, or make a tax-deductible donation to Cullowhee Mountain ARTS.
- We strongly recommend purchasing trip cancellation insurance from your travel agent in the event of an unforeseen medical issue.